I've got a number of questions regarding Stat Planet and Stat Trends, both of which I think are fantastic and helpful resources. I think it would be easiest if I just listed these in number form:
1) I'd like Stat Trends to open up on a scatter graph, with all three indicators (x-axis, y-axis, and bubble size) pre-selected, but I can't find a way of setting more than one indicator to open it up with. Is there a way to do this?
2) Is it possible to customise the order in which bars are sorted? E.g. by group as opposed to just by high-to-low or alphabetical?
3) Can you get it to automatically play a time sequence on opening?
4) Can you get Stat Planet to open up with the graph rather than the map (i.e. so the map capability is still there, should the user choose to minimise the graph)?
Thanks for all these good suggestions. To answer each of your questions:
1) In the next release the x and y indicators can both be pre-selected (though not the bubble size, perhaps in a future release). StatPlanet v 3.0 is about to be released, but you would have to wait a little longer for the next release of StatTrends.
2) No it's currently not possible to have any other sort options besides the pre-defined ones.
3) Yes, based on your suggestion I have just added this for the next release.
4) Yes, based on your suggestion I have also added this feature for the next release.
Fantastic. Thanks a lot for your quick response as well. I look forward to the new versions...any rough idea of when next version of Stat Trends will be out?
And what other new features can we expect for StatPlanet 3.0?
Here is a list of new features in StatPlanet 3.0 which was released a few days ago:
The next version of StatTrends will probably be released in about two months.
Thanks a lot.
I've got another question: I'm trying to get stat trends to open up with a time series chart, with a couple of variables selected, but it keeps asking me to select a variable when I open it.
I also get this warning message when I do it. Any ideas?
TypeError: Error #1010: A term is undefined and has no properties.
Thanks for your message. If think we resolved this via e-mail but for the benefit of others, such an error could be caused by variable names with spaces in them. The solution would be as follows:
In the area where you insert pre-selected variables, they needed to be separated by a space, but if you have a space in some of the variable names it causes an error. The solution is to assign a code (any code) to the variable names. The data.csv file would need to be edited and the variable names replaced by codes which do not have a space in them. (The settings.csv file still contains the full names and this is what you'll see in the graph). The codes in the sheet data.csv, rather than the full variable names, will need to be used where you insert the 'pre-selected variables'.
Unfortunately the Excel macro will overwrite the data.csv with the full variable names if you click on 'Save data', something to fix for the next version. This won't be a problem if you are already editing the data.csv file directly rather than through the StatPlanet Data Editor.
Hi, I'm an Italian student of economics, I would ask if I can get the quick start for Stat Trends (for example, how works the Groups function). You could have a quick start (for Planet Stat and Stat Trends) in Italian or find it somewhere ?
Unfortunately no user guide is available in Italian (only in French in case you might prefer this over English - http://www.statsilk.com/support/resources)
The user guide has just been updated, including the section on groups on p.35:
Although no Italian version is available, http://translate.google.com/ may do a fairly good job at translating it, if required. Please feel free to ask any further questions on this Forum if you run into any problems.
thanks for your help, I hope you can translate this fantastic program in Italian as soon as possible! See you soon,
Thanks Marco for your message. Most of the translation work so far has been done by organizations using StatPlanet as well as individual volunteers. Whenever I receive a translation it immediately goes on the website. I hope someone will be able to provide an Italien translation at some point.