- Easily switch between multiple visualization types, automatically generated from your data.
- Easy-to-use API for embedding or linking to a specific dashboard / visualization, or visualizing a specific dataset.
- Modular design, enabling highly customizable dashboards - just add, resize, and drag-and-drop panels into place.
- Keep things simple with a single data file for any number of dashboards.
- Multiple filter options: filter by time ranges, map regions or variable groups, indicators and categories / sub-categories.
- Embed text panels or web-pages to tell stories with your data.
- Create interactive stories, enabling users to navigate through customized visualizations.
- Easily navigate through large numbers of indicators through drop-down menus or StatPlanet's advanced search system, which can find approximate matches for search terms.
- Create zoomable map regions for enhanced spatial analysis.
- Choose from multiple export formats, including SVG for high quality, publication-ready images.
- See also the product feature comparison.
While StatPlanet Cloud is hosted online, importing your data and setting up the dashboard is done offline.
Visualizing and mapping your data is a two-step process:
- The Excel-based StatPlanet Data Manager sets up the map you wish to use (see: obtaining free maps).
- The StatPlanet Data Manager automatically imports your data. During this process three key dimensions of your data are modeled: the geographic dimension (data linked to map areas), the indicator dimension (topics or variables in your data file), and the time dimension (if any).
Through this model, interactive maps and visualizations are automatically generated using best-practice data visualization principles.
StatPlanet Cloud is a SaaS application, so the application is hosted in the cloud, while your data and maps can be either self-hosted or hosted in the cloud as well. A Gold or Platinum subscription provides access to a file management interface through which you can easily upload your files to our cloud servers. Should you prefer to host everything on your own server, including the software, that is possible as well. For more details, please contact us.
Information flows one way only, from the cloud/servers to the user's computer or device. No information is uploaded or otherwise recorded in the cloud.
StatPlanet Cloud can be integrated with StatPlanet Desktop, as they can share the same data and settings files. However, the desktop version uses Shapefile maps while StatPlanet Cloud uses GeoJSON maps. Fortunately, conversion is a simple process as explained in our map conversion tutorial. We provide a free map conversion service to StatPlanet Cloud subscribers.
StatPlanet Cloud has a modular design consisting of up to 6 panels. Each panel can be resized, repositioned, or removed to create a custom layout. A typical dashboard has an indicator selection panel, graph panel, map panel, time slider, and map region selection panel. For a given data set, you can design unlimited dashboards to present the data in different ways. For instance, one dashboard could display only an interactive graph, while another dashboard could include all panels to provide more options for advanced users. All that is required is to specify the required parameters for the dashboard, such as the indicator and visualization type. For technical details, see the StatPlanet Cloud API.
The layout of each dashboard can be easily customized. To try it out, see our dashboard customization demo. In this demo, click on any panel to drag and drop it into a new position. To resize a panel, click and hold the bottom-right corner of the panel.
The modular design also enables the layout to automatically adjust to any screen size. On smartphones and other small screen devices only one panel at a time will be shown.