Thousands of shapefile maps can be downloaded for free from the following websites, including country shapefiles, shapefiles at province or state level, and other administrative boundaries maps. The shapefile (or ESRI shapefile) format is a geospatial vector format, and is one of the most commonly used map formats.
WORLD shapefile maps
- Natural Earth - world maps - Excellent world shapefile maps with national boundaries, first order admin (provinces, states, etc.), disputed areas, coastlines, populated areas and more at various scale levels.
COUNTRY shapefile maps
- DIVA-GIS - Shapefile maps for all countries, including administrative boundaries, roads, railroads, altitude and land cover.
- World Bank - Country shapefiles can be downloaded through the World Bank's Mapping platform as follows: Click on 'explore countries' to select a country, click on 'download' in the top-right corner, and select 'Indicators (shapefile)'. This option is not available for all countries.
- Map Library - Country shapefile maps for Africa in the public domain.
- StatSilk - Interactive country-level shapefile maps
OSM Boundaries: Different administrative levels from Open Street Map can be downloaded as follows - please note these are community edited, and not always complete:
- Select a country, then *right-click* the country and click on "select children".
- To drill down to further levels, *right-click* on one of the regions (or "children") displayed, and again click on "select children".
- Once you have selected what you need, choose "shp" in the bottom-left corner and click on the "Export" button in the bottom of the screen.
ALL shapefile maps
- Geocommons - A huge database of user submitted maps. Search for any kind of map, then click on the "shapefile" button to the right of the map (if available) to download the shapefiles.
- MapCruzin - A great source for all kinds of shapefiles.
- Open Street Map - A growing collection of shapefile map downloads by continent, region and country. These maps are community edited and are not always complete. Various open street map shapefiles are also available from VDS tech.
US shapefile maps
- US Census Bureau - USA County and District Cartographic Boundary Files.
- Data: Recommended sources of global data for your maps
- Multi-layer maps: Create maps with multiple layers using Quantum GIS
- Find latitude/longitude coordinates for any city (to be supported as of StatPlanet Plus 4.0)
- Download a full list of city-level latitude/longitude coordinates (to be supported as of StatPlanet Plus 4.0)
- Create static/shapefile or interactive point maps
- Tools: Useful free shapefile map tools
Free country shapefile maps can be downloaded below, which have already been integrated into StatPlanet. Maps indicated with an asterisk (*) are Flash maps rather than shapefile maps. Please note that not all country versions are using the latest version of StatPlanet Plus. To update the country version to the latest version, please see the update instructions.
|• Australia map downloads:|
|- Australia Sub-State Regions (Level 4/SA4s)||demo||| download (v 3.2)|
|- Australia Local Gov. Authorities (LGA)||demo|
|- Sydney Local Gov. Authorities (LGA)||demo|
|- more Australian maps|
|• Afghanistan map download:||| download|
|• Angola map download||demo||| download (v 3.1)|
|• Armenia map download:||demo||| download|
|• Bhutan map download:||demo||| download (v 3.2) - both district and gewog Bhutan maps|
|• Botswana map download:||| download|
|• Canada map download:||demo||| download|
|• China map download:||demo||| download (v 3.2) - province map|
|• East Timor map download:||demo||| download (v 3.1)|
|• France map downloads:||demo||| download|
|• Germany map download:||demo||| download (v 3.0)|
|• Georgia map download:||| download|
|• India map download: (with Hindi font)||demo||| download (v 3.2)|
|• Indonesia map downloads:||demo||| download Flash map | download shapefile maps|
|• Jordan map downloads:||demo||| download|
|• Kenya map download:||demo||| download|
|• Kyrgyzstan map download:||demo||| download|
|• Lesotho map download:||| download|
|• Malawi map download:||| download|
|• Moldova map download:||demo||| download (v 3.0)|
|• Mozambique map download:||| download|
|• Namibia map download:||| download|
|• Netherlands map download:||demo||| download|
|• New Caledonia map* downloads:||| download communes map | download quartiers map|
|• Nigeria map download:||| download|
|• Romania map download:||demo||| download (v 3.2)|
|• São Tomé and Príncipe map download:||| download (v 3.1)|
|• Somalia map download:||demo||| download|
|• SACMEQ map download:||| download|
|• Seychelles map of schools download:||demo||| download|
|• South Africa map downloads:||demo||| download region map | download district map|
|• Swaziland map download:||| download|
|• Tanzania map downloads:||| download region map | download district map (v 3.2, Census 2012 maps)|
|• Turkey map download:||demo||| download|
|• Uganda map downloads:||demo||| download region map | download district map|
|• UK map download:||| download|
|• USA map download:||demo||| download|
|• Vietnamese map download:||| see Vietnamese resources|
|• Zambia map download:||| download|
|• Zanzibar map download:||| download|
1. Once you have downloaded StatPlanet Plus, find the folder 'Shapefile_map' and then go to the sub-folder 'map'.
2. Remove the included example map files, and copy your own shapefiles here.
3. Rename your files (e.g. xxx.shp and xxx.dbf) to map.shp and map.dbf. Only these files are required.
4. Open the StatPlanet_data_editor file. Click on the button 'Setup shapefile' (in the top-left).
5. Select the map.dbf file in the 'map' sub-folder, and follow the instructions.
6. Run StatPlanet.exe or StatPlanet.html to see the results with the included sample data.
You can now start importing your own data for the map.
The font and interface components can be customized through the Excel sheet 'Settings', and the map dimensions can changed by editing StatPlanet.html.
For further information, please see the Quick Start Developer Guide.
ESRI Shapefile Reader - Source Code
The source code for reading the shapefiles is included in the directory SHPreader.
It can be compiled to the file SHPreader.swf, which is read by StatPlanet.
The code was written by Edwin van Rijkom under the LGPL license, with some additions by Andy Woodruff, and some slight modifications for use in StatPlanet.
If you wish to change the names of the map files being read, you can change this in SHPreader.as,
and publish it as SHPreader.swf through the file SHPreader.fla.
For more information, see: http://shp.riaforge.org/