Download free shapefile maps
Thousands of shapefile maps can be downloaded for free from the following websites, including country shapefiles, shapefiles at province or state level, and other administrative boundaries maps. The shapefile (or ESRI shapefile) format is a geospatial vector format, and is one of the most commonly used map formats.
|To create interactive shapefile maps, please see: StatPlanet Plus.|
- Natural Earth - world maps - Excellent world shapefile maps with national boundaries, first order admin (provinces, states, etc.), disputed areas, coastlines, populated areas and more at various scale levels.
- United Nations - UN-SALB (Second Administrative Level Boundaries) data set project. These maps are free but copyright rests with the UN. The maps are validated by the National Mapping Agencies (NMA) of each UN Member State. This website requires registration to download the maps.
- DIVA-GIS - Free country level maps, including administrative boundaries, roads, railroads, altitude and land cover.
- Geocommons - A huge database of user submitted maps. Search for any kind of map, then click on the "shapefile" button to the right of the map (if available) to download the shapefiles.
- World Bank - Country shapefiles can be downloaded through the World Bank's Mapping platform as follows: Click on 'explore countries' to select a country, click on 'download' in the top-right corner, and select 'Indicators (shapefile)'. This option is not available for all countries.
- Map Library - Country shapefile maps for Africa in the public domain.
- MapCruzin - A great source for all kinds of shapefiles.
- Open Street Map - A growing collection of shapefile map downloads by continent, region and country. These maps are community edited and are not always complete. Shapefiles by country are also available from VDS tech.
- US Census Bureau - USA County and District Cartographic Boundary Files.
- Useful free shapefile map tools
- Create maps with multiple layers using Quantum GIS
- Recommended sources of data
Free country shapefile maps can be downloaded below, which have already been integrated into StatPlanet. Maps indicated with an asterisk (*) are Flash maps rather than shapefile maps. Please note that not all country versions are using the latest version of StatPlanet Plus. To update the country version to the latest version, please see the update instructions.
|• Australia map download (level 4 - SA4s - sub-state regions)||demo||| download (v 3.2) - download other Australian maps|
|• Afghanistan map download:||| download|
|• Angola map download||demo||| download (v 3.1)|
|• Armenia map download:||demo||| download|
|• Bhutan map download:||demo||| download (v 3.2) - both district and gewog Bhutan maps|
|• Botswana map download:||| download|
|• Canada map download:||demo||| download|
|• China map download:||demo||| download (large map - demo takes a while to load)|
|• East Timor map download:||demo||| download (v 3.1)|
|• France map downloads:||demo||| download lite version | download StatPlanet Plus version|
|• Germany map download:||demo||| download (v 3.0)|
|• Georgia map download:||| download|
|• India map download: (with Hindi font)||demo||| download (v 3.2)|
|• Indonesia map downloads:||demo||| download Flash map | download shapefile maps|
|• Jordan map downloads:||demo||| download|
|• Kenya map download:||demo||| download|
|• Kyrgyzstan map download:||demo||| download|
|• Lesotho map download:||| download|
|• Malawi map download:||| download|
|• Moldova map download:||demo||| download (v 3.0)|
|• Mozambique map download:||| download|
|• Namibia map download:||| download|
|• Netherlands map download:||demo||| download|
|• New Caledonia map* downloads:||| download communes map | download quartiers map | provided by ac-noumea.nc|
|• Nigeria map download:||| download|
|• Romania map download:||demo||| download (note: Flash map, no shapefile map included)|
|• São Tomé and Príncipe map download:||| download (v 3.1)|
|• Somalia map download:||demo||| download|
|• SACMEQ map download:||| download|
|• Seychelles map of schools download:||demo||| download|
|• South Africa map downloads:||demo||| download region map | download district map|
|• Swaziland map download:||| download|
|• Tanzania map downloads:||| download region map | download district map (v 3.2, Census 2012 maps)|
|• Turkey map download:||demo||| download|
|• Uganda map downloads:||demo||| download region map | download district map|
|• UK map download:||| download|
|• USA map download:||demo||| download|
|• Vietnamese map download:||| see Vietnamese resources|
|• Zambia map download:||| download|
|• Zanzibar map download:||| download|
1. Once you have downloaded StatPlanet Plus, find the folder 'Shapefile_map' and then go to the sub-folder 'map'.
2. Remove the included example map files, and copy your own shapefiles here.
3. Rename your files (e.g. xxx.shp and xxx.dbf) to map.shp and map.dbf. Only these files are required.
4. Open the StatPlanet_data_editor file. Click on the button 'Setup shapefile' (in the top-left).
5. Select the map.dbf file in the 'map' sub-folder, and follow the instructions.
6. Run StatPlanet.exe or StatPlanet.html to see the results with the included sample data.
You can now start importing your own data for the map.
The font and interface components can be customized through the Excel sheet 'Settings', and the map dimensions can changed by editing StatPlanet.html.
For further information, please see the Quick Start Developer Guide.
ESRI Shapefile Reader - Source Code
The source code for reading the shapefiles is included in the directory SHPreader.
It can be compiled to the file SHPreader.swf, which is read by StatPlanet.
The code was written by Edwin van Rijkom under the LGPL license, with some additions by Andy Woodruff, and some slight modifications for use in StatPlanet.
If you wish to change the names of the map files being read, you can change this in SHPreader.as,
and publish it as SHPreader.swf through the file SHPreader.fla.
For more information, see: http://shp.riaforge.org/