- Easily switch between multiple visualization types, automatically generated from your data.
- Easy-to-use API for embedding or linking to a specific dashboard / visualization, or visualizing a specific dataset.
- Modular design, enabling highly customizable dashboards - just add, resize, and drag-and-drop panels into place.
- Keep things simple with a single data file for any number of dashboards.
- Multiple filter options: filter by time ranges, map regions or variable groups, indicators and categories / sub-categories.
- Embed text panels or web-pages to tell stories with your data.
- Create interactive stories, enabling users to navigate through customized visualizations.
- Easily navigate through large numbers of indicators through drop-down menus or StatPlanet's advanced search system, which can find approximate matches for search terms.
- Create zoomable map regions for enhanced spatial analysis.
- Choose from multiple export formats, including SVG for high quality, publication-ready images.
- See also the product feature comparison.
Visualizing and mapping your data is a two-step process. In the first step, the StatPlanet Data Manager sets up the map you wish to use (see: obtaining free maps). In the second step, the StatPlanet Data Manager automatically imports your data. During this process three key dimensions of your data are modeled: the geographic dimension (data linked to map areas), the indicator dimension (topics or variables in your data file), and the time dimension (if any). Through this model, interactive maps and visualizations are automatically generated using best-practice data visualization principles.
StatPlanet Cloud is a SaaS application, so the application is hosted in the cloud, while your data and maps can be either self-hosted or hosted in the cloud as well. A Gold or Platinum subscription provides access to a file management interface through which you can easily upload your files to our cloud servers. Should you prefer to host everything on your own server, including the software, that is possible as well. For more details, please contact us.
Information flows one way only, from the cloud/servers to the user's computer or device. No information is uploaded or otherwise recorded in the cloud.
StatPlanet Cloud can be easily integrated with StatPlanet Desktop, as they can use the same data and settings files. However, the desktop version uses Shapefile maps while StatPlanet Cloud uses GeoJSON maps. Fortunately, conversion is a simple process as explained in our map conversion tutorial. We provide a free map conversion service to StatPlanet Cloud subscribers.
StatPlanet Cloud has a modular design, which means that you can have a full dashboard with multiple panels (map, graph, indicator selection, etc.) on one web-page, and on other web-pages may choose to display just one or two panels. For example, you may wish to embed a specific type of interactive graph for a particular indicator within one web-page, and in another web-page display a map instead, for a different indicator. Unlimited dashboards with custom layouts can be constructed, while only having to maintain a single database, through which all maps and graphs are automatically generated. All that is required is to specify the required parameters for the dashboard, such as the indicator and visualization type. For technical details, see the StatPlanet Cloud API.
The layout of each dashboard can be easily customized. For a demo, please see:
To redesign the dashboard layout, click on any panel to drag and drop it into a new position. To resize a panel, click and hold the bottom-right corner of the panel.
The modular design also enables the layout to automatically adjust to the user's screen size. On smartphones and other small screen devices, for example, only one panel at a time will be shown.