StatPlanet is intended as a free alternative to commercial and often expensive data visualization software. Its development has been funded by many organizations, including several UN agencies, OECD and the World Bank.
StatPlanet Open Source can be used to rapidly build interactive map-based dashboards. Interactive maps can be created through the offline, Excel-based Data Manager (also open source), or using SDMX. The Data Manager can be used to automatically set up new maps as wel as import data. While StatPlanet Open Source is hosted online, importing your data and setting up the dashboard is done offline.
‣ StatPlanet Desktop (no installation required)
- Easy-to-use API for embedding or linking to a specific dashboard / visualization, or visualizing a specific dataset.
- Modular design, enabling highly customizable dashboards - just add, resize, and drag-and-drop panels into place.
- Keep things simple with a single data file for any number of dashboards.
- Multiple filter options: filter by time ranges, map regions or variable groups, indicators and categories / sub-categories.
- Embed text panels or web-pages to tell stories with your data.
- Easily navigate through large numbers of indicators through drop-down menus or StatPlanet's advanced search system, which can find approximate matches for search terms.
- Create zoomable map regions for enhanced spatial analysis.
- Choose from multiple export formats, including SVG for high quality, publication-ready images.
Visualizing and mapping your data is a two-step process:
- The Excel-based StatPlanet Data Manager sets up the map you wish to use (see: obtaining free maps).
- The StatPlanet Data Manager automatically imports your data. During this process three key dimensions of your data are modeled: the geographic dimension (data linked to map areas), the indicator dimension (topics or variables in your data file), and the time dimension (if any).l at a time will be shown.