I'm getting an error when I try to view the statplanet.html over http. It works fine when I view it from the file system. I have applied the params.base parameter but if set to the root of the site I still get the error, if I point to the map folder I get the can't find data files which would seem obviously correct, but reset to the site root and no map.
If you are using the StatPlanet.html file (and not embedding it, for example in a CMS) it should not require the base parameter. It will just look for the maps in the map subfolder from where StatPlanet.html is located.
You could try following the instructions here to identify the issue: http://www.statsilk.com/support/faq#error-online
I hope that helps.
Thanks Frank but I've already taken a look at http://www.statsilk.com/support/faq#error-online and there is nothing of any use there. I did initially try it without the base parameter and it gets the cannot load the .shp file error. I just tried the base parameter as a means of resolving the issue but it made no difference.
Would you be able to provide a link to the map which is not working? (if it cannot be viewed publicly, it can be sent to me via http://www.statsilk.com/contact).
The troubleshooting help I was referring to was to finding the files (not related to the base parameter). That is, the text copied below from 'http://www.statsilk.com/support/faq#error-online. When you try this, does it find the map files in the web browser?
If you are using the 'shapefile version' of StatPlanet, the most common cause is that StatPlanet is unable to access the files map/map.dbf and map/map.shp. To verify if this is the case, try opening the following page in your web-browser:
www.mywebsite.com/statplanet-location/map/map.dbf (replacing the first part of the link with the location of StatPlanet on your website).
If you get a 'page not found' error, the problem is either:
(i) the map directory has not been copied to your web-server, or
(ii) access permission for the directory 'map' and/or the files 'map.dbf' and 'map.shp' is currently restricted.
If it is an access permission error, this can be resolved by navigating to the map folder through FTP and right-clicking on the folder/files and enabling access. "Public permissions" - "Read" - needs to be enabled for the files map.dbf and map.shp.
Sorry for disturbing, but I can't figure it out myself.
The same trouble: StatPlanet Plus, "Unable to load map/map.dbf". I've read FAQ and tried everything: changed folder of files, checked permission (everything is ok with it). And I didn't change any server configurations. StatPlanet worked properly for a long time, an error appeared just a few days ago on all maps on my website. For example: http://uafrontier.com/interactive/005ua/StatPlanet.html or http://uafrontier.com/pryrodnyj-pryrist-skorochennja-naselennja-ukrajiny...
Could you give me some advice how to fix it? Thanks!
Sorry to hear about this issue. It seems map.shp is accessible, but map.dbf is not (http://uafrontier.com/interactive/005ua/map/map.dbf), which is unusual. Are both files there, with the same permissions?
If it happened suddenly, without a change from your end, what could have happened is a change to the server configuration. From the FAQ:
"The server configuration settings allow only certain types of extensions to be loaded. If there are security measures permitting only files with specific types of extensions, the .shp and .dbf extensions would need to be added to this list. The .shp and .dbf extensions may need to be added to the server’s known mime types as an application/octet-stream. "
You may need to contact your host / whoever manages the server, to ask if files .dbf are included in permitted file extensions.
I hope that helps to resolve it.
You are right. I contacted my hosting provider and they fixed the issue. Sorry for disturbing and thak you once again!
Great to hear, thanks for this update and glad that I could be of help.