The award winning StatPlanet software enables you to visually explore all your data within a single intuitive interface, through integrated interactive maps and graphs.
StatPlanet consists of a powerful set of tools for automatically importing and visualizing your data within minutes. With a click of a button, you can select and seamlessly transition between data sets, time periods, map regions, graph and map types. Users can dynamically customize the view according to their needs for better analysis and decision making. A key strength is its integration of graphs and maps into a single view. This enables users to simultaneously explore and filter the data through multiple, interconnected visualizations.
Advanced features: StatPlanet supports automated importing of large data sets, importing of maps (such as in the shapefile map format), branding (logo embedding), multidimensional tables, meta data display, and many other advanced features which are not available in the free StatPlanet software.
Examples: The examples page showcases StatPlanet implementations by government agencies and international organizations such as OECD, UNESCO and the World Bank. See also StatWorld, a demo of StatPlanet, and StatPlanet World Bank, the first prize winning entry in the World Bank's Apps for Development competition. For analyzing statistical data which is not location-based, see StatTrends.
Getting started: The getting started guide explains step by step how to set up your map and import your data. The resources section has additional support documentation.
Educational use: Schools and education institutions can use StatPlanet for free - see the recommended resources to get started.
- Embed a custom logo in the main StatPlanet interface screen (bottom-right corner), replacing the existing StatPlanet logo (this feature is not available in the free non-commercial desktop version). In the licensed web version the logo can be loaded from an external image file (JPG, PNG or SWF). In the licensed desktop version the logo is embedded within the software, and can be provided in any image format. For customizing the startup splash screen, the Splash Screen Module is required.
- Import maps in the commonly used ESRI Shapefile format (see also: free shapefile map downloads).
- Custom design your maps in Adobe Animate or Flash, using the included Custom Flash map edition.
- Add "map points" such as cities, regional aggregations and other points of interest, through a drag-and-drop interface.
- Create proportional symbol maps using external icons / images.
- Add links to map roll-over popups (single or double click), customizable for each indicator.
- Additional graph types:
- Display benchmarks: add one or two benchmark or target lines in your graphs, with customizable labels and mouse-over popups.
- Display axes units / labels.
- View data for all years / time units for the selected indicator (one indicator, all years/time units).
- View data for all indicators in the selected category (multiple indicators, one year/time unit).
- View data for all years / time units and for all indicators in the selected category (multiple indicators, multiple years/time units).
- View data for all indicators in all categories, for the selected map area and year / time unit (all indicators, one year/time unit, one map area).
- Filter table by map region or by selected map areas.
- Export your customized table as a 'CSV' (comma separated values) file which can be opened in Excel or other spreadsheet software.
- No indicator limit. Organize indicators through categories and if required - sub-categories and sub-sub-categories.
- Option to dynamically load data from a database.
- Split large data files into multiple smaller data files to reduce the initial download size, and only load additional data when the user requests it through the drop-down menus.
- Incorporate indicator meta data through the story panel (such as the description, source, and calculation method). Text and images can be formatted using HTML code. This meta data can optionally be loaded from external html files.
- Incorporate map area meta data through map area rollover popups. Alternatively, it can be displayed as a scrollable panel when clicking on a map area.
- Incorporate category meta data as a rollover popup when selecting categories through the drop-down menu.
- Automatic meta data importing.
- Various additional features are available through add-on modules.
- Export maps, graphs and charts as a PNG or JPG file (web version only). This requires a web server that is configured to run PHP or ASP files.
- Export data as a CSV data file (web version only). This requires a web server that is configured to run PHP or ASP files.
International character sets:
- International character sets are available on request, e.g. Arabic or Chinese. Please note that fonts are embedded, so they increase the size of the application - usually by around 50 to 250 kb.
- E-mail feedback icon: Include an optional e-mail icon with customizable e-mail address/subject/body to get comments or feedback from users.
- Link icon: copy (share) a link to the currently selected indicator, graph and time/year.
- Search panel: dynamic search for indicators, with search results updating as you type.
- Sitemap: auto-generate a complete categorized list of links to all indicators in StatPlanet (produces HTML code for embedding in a web-page). See example.
- Statistics: display customizable indicator-level statistics (total, mean, standard deviation, range).
For more details, see also the release notes.
- World map edition: StatPlanet with embedded world map. It comes with predefined world map regions and pre-positioned country text labels, both of which can be customized. Dashed grey lines are used to show disputed borders between countries. The import macro is optimized for importing country-level data regardless of the country code or naming used in your data files.
- USA map edition: StatPlanet with embedded US state map. It comes with predefined US map regions and pre-positioned US state text labels, both of which can be customized.
- Shapefile map edition: Load any ESRI shapefile map into StatPlanet, one of the most common map formats. To optimize your maps for the web, please see: simplify and reduce the size of your maps. For large shapefile maps (over 1000 map areas) it is recommended that you test the map to confirm it is compatible with StatPlanet prior to purchase.
- Custom Flash map edition: Design your own map in Adobe Animate or Adobe Flash using the included template. This option has the greatest flexibility to completely custom design your maps, but requires third party Adobe software and lacks the availability of ready-made maps.
See also StatTrends for visualizing other kinds of data which is not location-based.
StatPlanet is available in both web and desktop editions. The different licenses and corresponding costs for one edition of StatPlanet are listed below. The license is valid forever (i.e. it never expires) and for the web version is valid for one web domain.
For more information, see also:
- StatPlanet add-on modules, which are available at additional cost
- Differences between the web and desktop version
- License terms
To check if you or your organization are eligible for a non-commercial license, please see:
Which license do I need?
Cost in USD
|Desktop version with export*:||$ 395|
|Web version:||$ 395|
|Mobile app:||request a quote|
*The non-commercial desktop version has no map or graph export option. A license needs to be purchased if you require this functionality. Logo embedding is included as part of the license cost.
The cost of the commercial license for the desktop version depends on the number of users. The following is the cost for a single license purchase. Please contact us if you require a custom quote based on the number of users.
Cost in USD
|Desktop version, 3 users:||$ 595|
|Web version:||$ 595|
|Mobile app:||request a quote|
- E-mail support: One year of e-mail technical support is included with a license purchase.
- Multiple editions: Discounts are available for purchases of multiple editions of StatPlanet Plus.
- Payment in other currencies: Please indicate your preferred currency of payment through the purchase form for a custom quote.
- Payment methods: Payments can be made either via bank transfer (wire transfer) or Credit Card (via PayPal).
- Upgrades: Once purchased, future upgrades are available at a discounted price. The upgrade price is for a one-time upgrade only, so subsequent upgrades would require the purchase of a new upgrade.
- Web-version domain license: The web-version is licensed for usage on a single website domain or subdomain, e.g. subdomain.mywebsite.com. There is no limitation to how many times it can be used within that web domain (e.g. subdomain.website.com/project1, subdomain.website.com/project2, subdomain.website.com/project3, etc.). Use on another web domain, however, would require an additional license.
StatPlanet can be used to easily load shapefile maps, one of the most popular map formats. For most shapefile maps, it only takes a few minutes to have them up and running in StatPlanet. Simply copy your shapefiles to the StatPlanet 'map' directory and run 'setup shapefile' in the StatPlanet Data Editor. For more details, please see the quick start guide.
The 'shapefile' format is a geospatial vector data format. Shapefile maps of most regions and countries can be downloaded for free (including sub-national boundaries at various administrative levels).
The Flash-based (actionscript) code for loading in the shapefile maps is open source.