StatPlanet Plus - Advanced Mapping & Visualization
The award-winning StatPlanet Plus is an advanced version of the free StatPlanet mapping and visualization software. It has a user-friendly yet feature-rich interface for exploring and analyzing location-based statistical data through interactive maps and visualizations. It supports shapefile maps, automated importing of large data sets, custom logo embedding, and many other additional features compared to the standard edition of StatPlanet. Its features can be further extended through add-on modules.
For demos see the examples page. It showcases StatPlanet Plus implementations by government agencies and international organizations such as OECD, UNESCO and the World Bank. For a demo of the latest version of StatPlanet Plus, please see StatWorld.
Getting started: The quick start guide explains step by step how to set up your map and import your data. The resources section has additional support documentation.
Listed below are StatPlanet Plus exclusive features which are not in the free version of StatPlanet. See also the StatPlanet Plus add-on modules for features which are not included by default. To compare StatPlanet Plus with other StatSilk applications, please see the feature comparison.
- Embed a custom logo in the main StatPlanet interface screen (bottom-right corner), replacing the existing StatPlanet logo (this feature is not available in the free desktop version for non-commercial use). In the licensed web version the logo can be loaded from an external image file (JPG, PNG or SWF). In the licensed desktop version the logo is embedded within the software, and can be provided in any image format. For customizing the startup splash screen, the Splash Screen Module is required.
- Import maps in the commonly used ESRI Shapefile format (see also: free shapefile map downloads).
- Custom design your maps in Adobe Flash, using the included Custom Flash map edition.
- Add "map points" such as cities, regional aggregations and other points of interest, through a drag-and-drop interface.
- Overlay external maps or images, for example raster maps, customizable at the indicator level.
- Create proportional symbol maps using external icons / images.
- Add links to map roll-over popups (single or double click), customizable for each indicator.
- Additional graph types:
- Display benchmarks: add one or two benchmark or target lines in your graphs, with customizable labels and mouse-over popups.
- Display axes units / labels.
- View data for all years / time units for the selected indicator (one indicator, all years/time units).
- View data for all indicators in the selected category (multiple indicators, one year/time unit).
- View data for all years / time units and for all indicators in the selected category (multiple indicators, multiple years/time units).
- View data for all indicators in all categories, for the selected map area and year / time unit (all indicators, one year/time unit, one map area).
- Filter table by map region or by selected map areas.
- Export your customized table as a 'CSV' (comma separated values) file which can be opened in Excel or other spreadsheet software.
- No indicator limit. Organize indicators through categories and if required - sub-categories and sub-sub-categories.
- Option to dynamically load data from a database.
- Split large data files into multiple smaller data files to reduce the initial download size, and only load additional data when the user requests it through the drop-down menus.
- Include images and descriptions with your indicators through the story panel. Text and images can be formatted using HTML code, and can be customized separately for each indicator and time period.
- Various additional features are available through add-on modules.
- Export maps, graphs and charts as a PNG or JPG file (web version only). This requires a web server that is configured to run PHP or ASP files.
- Export data as a CSV data file (web version only). This requires a web server that is configured to run PHP or ASP files.
International character sets:
- International character sets are available on request, e.g. Arabic or Chinese. They are not included by default, because it increases the size of the application by around 50-250 kb.
- Please indicate which international character set (if any) is required when you purchase the software. Changing the configuration after payment and delivery of the software can only be done at additional cost.
- E-mail feedback icon: Include an optional e-mail icon with customizable e-mail address/subject/body to get comments or feedback from users.
- Link icon: copy (share) a link to the currently selected indicator, graph and time/year.
- Search panel: dynamic search for indicators, with search results updating as you type.
- Sitemap: auto-generate a complete categorized list of links to all indicators in StatPlanet (produces HTML code for embedding in a web-page). See example.
- Statistics: display customizable indicator-level statistics (total, mean, standard deviation, range).
For more details, see also the release notes.
- World map edition: StatPlanet Plus with embedded world map. It comes with predefined world map regions and pre-positioned country text labels, both of which can be customized. Dashed grey lines are used to show disputed borders between countries.
- USA map edition: StatPlanet Plus with embedded US state map. It comes with predefined US map regions and pre-positioned US state text labels, both of which can be customized.
- Shapefile map edition: Load any ESRI shapefile map into StatPlanet Plus, one of the most common map formats. To optimize your maps for the web, please see: simplify and reduce the size of your maps. For large shapefile maps (over 1000 map areas) it is recommended that you test the map to confirm it is compatible with StatPlanet Plus prior to purchase.
- Custom Flash map edition: Design your own map in Adobe Flash using the included Flash template. This option has the greatest flexibility to completely custom design your map, but is more time consuming and requires the Adobe Flash software.
See also StatTrends Plus for visualizing other kinds of data which is not location-based.
StatPlanet Plus is available in both web and desktop editions. The different licenses and corresponding costs for one edition of StatPlanet Plus are listed below. The license is valid forever (i.e. it never expires) and for the web version is valid for one web domain.
For more information, see also:
- StatPlanet add-on modules, which are available at additional cost
- Differences between the web and desktop version
- License terms
Cost in USD
|Desktop version with export*||395|
|Mobile app:||request a quote|
*The non-commercial desktop version has no map or graph export option. A license needs to be purchased if you require this functionality. Logo embedding is included as part of the license cost.
The cost of the commercial license for the desktop version depends on the number of users. The following is the cost for a single license purchase. Please contact us if you require a custom quote based on the number of users.
Cost in USD
|Mobile app||request a quote|
- E-mail support: One year of e-mail technical support is included with a license purchase.
- Multiple editions: Discounts are available for purchases of multiple editions of StatPlanet Plus.
- Payment in other currencies: Please indicate your preferred currency of payment through the purchase form for a custom quote.
- Payment methods: Payments can be made either via bank transfer (wire transfer) or Credit Card (via PayPal).
- Upgrades: Once purchased, future upgrades are available at a discounted price. The upgrade price is for a one-time upgrade only, so subsequent upgrades would require the purchase of a new upgrade.
- Web-version domain license: The web-version is licensed for usage on a single website domain or subdomain, e.g. subdomain.mywebsite.com. There is no limitation to how many times it can be used within that web domain (e.g. subdomain.website.com/project1, subdomain.website.com/project2, subdomain.website.com/project3, etc.). Use on another web domain, however, would require an additional license.
StatPlanet Plus can be used to easily load shapefile maps, one of the most popular map formats. For most shapefile maps, it only takes a few minutes to have them up and running in StatPlanet Plus. Simply copy your shapefiles to the StatPlanet 'map' directory and run 'setup shapefile' in the StatPlanet Data Editor.
The 'shapefile' format is a geospatial vector data format. Thousands of shapefile maps can be downloaded for free.
The Flash-based (actionscript) code for loading in the shapefile maps is open source.
Upgrading from StatPlanet to StatPlanet Plus is easy - no changes have to be made as they both use the same data files. Simply copy your data file from your StatPlanet folder to the StatPlanet Plus folder and it will be up and running. To take advantage of new features, however, you would need to copy your data from the StatPlanet Data Editor used by StatPlanet into the StatPlanet Data Editor used by StatPlanet Plus. This only concerns the data from the sheet 'Import'. For more information, feel free to contact us.